Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Cell Phone Addiction

Is it possible to be addicted to a cell phone? In our business we have a rule no cell phones in the building, mainly because a manager was attached to her cell phone.Monday a friend dropped something by our store and I was gone. I asked her to check and see if the cell phone was on a table in my office or at the front desk. Sure enough it was in the office.
Tuesday I put on my "dective" hat, met my fiend at a restaurant down from us. I could sit on a bench and see our store. Not 10 minutes after I leave I see her going to her car, retrieving her cell phone. Took off my "dective" hat, put on my "owner" hat and we walked back to our store. I walked in and she ignored me, pretending to be busy. I could not find the phone anywhere, but I knew she brought it in. By now she is out on the circuit, and buzz, buzz goes the cell phone. She had hidden it behind a stapler and the pc tower. I called her in the office and asked her why and her response was "I wanted to see who called". Until I told her to go put the phone in the car she made no effort to do it. Her response was "sorry"!She had about an hour and a half until we closed but she couldn't wait. I asked her about Monday night and she denied it. Then she spotted my friend in my office. Busted again. Lying and breaking rules all for a cell phone. A cell phone is going to cost her a job. Amazing the theory that rules are made for everyone but me!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

It's also very interesting how attached we as a society have become to something we got along fine without when we were growing up. Reminds me of that "if you grew up the 50's, 60's, 70's thread" on the boards....

Julie said...

isn't it sad that so many people think the rules are for everyone but them!

juls said...

People look at me like I have 2 heads when I say I don't carry a cell phone. I only need it on long trips--I just don't see the need in my life for it other than that. I hope she gets her act together Pam!

Laura said...

I know people like her and I think it's crazy! There's a girl at work that carries one (in a hospital) and I've complained to the boss about it since we tell patients/families they can't use it except in the waiting rooms. But she can use it anywhere for some reason. Good Grief!!