Friday, September 26, 2008

Dumb, Dumb, Thing to do!

My DH tried to access our online banking Tues. night and couldn't get on. I tried again yesterday and couldn't get on. For security reasons after so many attempts they just lock you out. I tried to call the bank but got the famous voice mail several times. The phone rang and it was a text message from the bank ( or so I thought) and said there were problems with our account and they needed our debit card #,and pin #. I know, what you are thinking, never give it out! Well I wouldn't have if I could have accessed on line. So, I did, not only once but twice from both business and personal accounts. I still could not get online, so we took a trip to the bank. Seems as if (I think, they never would admit),that someone hacked into the system and got phone numbers. The bank said they had about 6-7 people come in before us that had the same text message. They said they never send text messages. Anyway, no damage done, just got new ATM cards and a lesson well learned. Oh, we both got another text message tonight from another phone number but tonight we are much smarter!!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh man, how scary!!! Glad nothing serious happened!

Karen Lambert said...

Thanks for the reminder to not give my pin to anyone!!! Sorry you had to go through all that. I have gotten text messages from "banks" saying there was a problem with my account. But they were banks that I don't have an account with. One was United Heritage Credit Union. I called the bank to alert them and they said it was a spam and they had numerous reports. They use an automatic dialer and it just randomly goes out. Unfortunately it does hit some of their customers. Could be the same thing happened to you.

ScrapAddict said...

Thank goodness no harm done. the things some will do to get other people's stuff just amazes me....

Lily said...

that's why online banking scare the poop out of me. Glad it all workedout